Handshake Job/Internship Approval Guidelines
Employers seeking to engage with Tufts University students and alumni by posting jobs, promoting events, and offering on-campus or virtual interviews must be an approved employer through our Handshake portal.
Once an employer has been approved in Handshake, job/internship opportunities may be posted for review. Tufts University follows the guidelines below when considering whether to approve a job, internship, or co-op posting for students and alumni to access. If you should have any questions about the details below please reach out to Willa Mayo, Recruiting Coordinator at Willa.Mayo@tufts.edu.
- Tufts only approves permanent positions requiring a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- The Tufts Career Center systematically declines positions posted for longer than a year.
- Tufts approves unpaid internships for non-profit and some government agencies only. We follow the Fair Labor Standards and NACE guidelines around student employment and fair pay standards.
- Tufts will not approve jobs offering commission only compensation.
- Tufts Veterinary School does not currently use Handshake. Please contact Kruskall@tufts.edu or call 508-887-4402 to post your position.
- Tufts does not approve nursing positions since we do not have a nursing school.
- Tufts does not approve political canvassing jobs.
- Tufts approves full-time temporary positions for the summer only.
- Tufts does not approve permanent internships.
The following positions will not be approved in Handshake:
- Positions that require students and alumni to pay any fees or to purchase software or other items to successfully undertake an internship or FTE/PT position.
- Positions posted by third-party recruitment agencies offering unspecified opportunities and roles outside of their direct organizational hiring.
- Positions that do not transparently name the company/organization, position title, location, and name of primary contact for the internship or position.
- Positions that require students to solicit, recruit, and/or advertise to other students on the Tufts campus. This includes Campus Ambassador and Brand Ambassador positions.
Tutoring, Teaching, and Nanny Positions:
Families that are seeking nannies, care givers, private tutors/teachers, etc. please follow this link to complete the information and it will be shared publicly to the Tufts community.
Student Employment will post this information on our website for students and alumni to access. Please follow this link for additional information: