Handshake for Employers
The Handshake App is also available for download on both iOS and Android.
What is Handshake?
Handshake is the Tufts web-based recruiting system that links employers with students and alumni. Registration is easy and you can post positions immediately upon completion of a simple registration. In addition, hundreds of Tufts students and alumni have made their resumes and candidate profiles viewable in Handshake. Employers with approved accounts (takes 1 – 3 business days) may search our database by candidates’ preferred industry, location, skills and keyword for qualified individuals to fill internship and full-time openings. With Handshake, you will have the opportunity to:
- Post jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities and more
- Send and receive messages with students who may be interested in working for your company
- Host on campus interviews or info sessions for students
- Get access to Tufts career fairs
Get Started with Handshake
Check out the resources below and at Handshake’s Support Center to learn how to take advantage of the platform and start making connections with Tufts talent.
Creating a User Account
You will need to create a user account to log in and use Handshake. Visit this link to create your account: https://app.joinhandshake.com/employer_registrations/new
Details of this process, including screenshots, can be found here: https://support.joinhandshake.com/hc/en-us/articles/219133047-How-do-I-create-a-user-account-and-join-an-existing-company-
- Use your corporate email address when creating your account. Signing up with your work email will help ensure you’re connected to the right company. Additionally, many schools will decline employer profiles with generic email addresses.
Joining or Creating a Company Profile
To engage with Tufts on Handshake, you will first need to connect your user account to your company profile. To do this, follow the link in the confirmation email you received after creating your user account. If your company already has an existing Handshake company profile, it should pop up automatically based on the domain of your email address.
If your company is brand new to Handshake and does not have an existing profile, you will see the option to create a new company profile. You can learn more about the new company creation process here.
Note: Make sure your company profile is filled out completely. Tufts guidelines for employer approval can be found here.
- If you did not receive a confirmation email after creating your user account, check your spam and junk folders. You can also try adding email@example.com to your email contacts/address book, or check with your IT department to make sure the address isn’t blocked or quarantined. Once you have taken these steps, you can resend the confirmation email by logging into Handshake and using the link in Step 4 on the right side of your screen.
- When Handshake prompts you to connect with a company profile, make sure to select your own company, NOT schools you’d like to recruit from. If you would like to recruit from Tufts, do not list Tufts as your company – connecting with schools comes next!
Connecting with Tufts University
Employers seeking to engage with Tufts University students and alumni must request and receive approval through our Handshake portal. We have outlined the guidelines for employers to be approved below. It may take up to five business days for your request to be approved.
You can learn more about requesting schools on Handshake here.
Posting Jobs, Internships, and Co-ops
Once your request to connect with Tufts has been approved, you will be able to post jobs, internships, and co-ops.
Please note that requests must be reviewed and approved by Tufts before they are displayed to students. Tufts University follows the guidelines below when considering whether to approve a job, internship, or co-op posting for students and alumni: https://careers.tufts.edu/resources/handshake-job-internship-approval-guidelines/
When posting opportunities, be sure to indicate the class year(s) of students you are interested in hiring, application deadlines and application instructions.
Note: Starting a new internship program for your organization? Looking for ways to improve upon your existing program? We encourage you to use the Manager’s Toolkit for Building a Successful Internship Program.
Handshake employers may request to promote events to Tufts students. Events may include coffee chats, info sessions, panel discussions, and more. Events may be hosted on our campus, off-site, or virtually.
If you would like to host an on-campus event at Tufts, please email Recruiting Coordinator Willa Mayo at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss. Our team will make recommendations on preferred dates and times for events and workshops based on the availability of a certain date or competition with other events and activities happening at Tufts. We ask that you please review the Tufts Academic Calendar to avoid university breaks or religious holidays.
Instructions on how to post an event on Handshake can be found here. Please note that it may take up to five business days for your request to be approved by Tufts.
Requesting an OCI
An on-campus interview (OCI) is when an employer either visits Tufts University to conduct interviews in the Career Center (Dowling Hall, 419 Boston Ave, 7th floor), or virtually conducts interviews with our students via Zoom or another video platform. You can learn more about Tufts OCIs here.
- September 6th, 2022 – December 12th, 2022
- Fall 2022 Interviews can be scheduled beginning July 5, 2022
- January 23rd, 2022 – May 5th, 2023
- Spring 2023 Interviews can be scheduled beginning January 2nd, 2023
Interviews will not be conducted on any university holiday or during Spring Break (March 18 – 26, 2023).
To sign up for interview dates, log in to Handshake, our web-based recruiting system, and request a new interview schedule. The system will collect student applications for you, send notifications and reminders to you and your applicants, and allow your pre-selected students to sign up for interviews on your schedule. Once your OCI has been approved, you can follow these steps to manage student applications.
You may also contact Willa Mayo, Recruiting Coordinator, to register your organization for a specific date. She will work with you to set up the interview date and publicize your career opportunity to students. There are no fees for conducting interviews in partnership with the Career Center.
Any questions about OCIs can be directed to Recruitment Coordinator Willa Mayo at email@example.com.
Attending Career Fairs
Tufts University will be hosting in-person and virtual career fairs for the Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters. Employer partners are invited to participate in these events to increase visibility among students.
All fairs are open to students in the School of Arts and Sciences, School of Engineering, and School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts. Students of all majors and class years are encouraged to attend.
Fair information and rates can be found here: https://careers.tufts.edu/resources/join-us-for-a-virtual-industry-fair/
Upcoming Career Fairs Date Time (EST) Fall 2022 In Person Career and Internship Fair Friday, September 23rd, 2022 11:30 – 2:30 pm Fall 2022 Virtual Career and Internship Fair Friday, September 30th, 2022 1 – 4 pm Spring 2023 In Person Career and Internship Fair Friday, February 10th, 2023 11:30 – 2:30 pm Spring 2023 Virtual Career and Internship Fair Friday, February 17th, 2023 1 – 4 pm
In-Person Career Fair
After a two year hiatus, our in-person Career Fairs will be returning this fall and spring. We will be hosting up to 100 employers across various industries in the Tufts Gantcher Center. Lunch will be provided.
Each In-Person Career Fair registration includes the following:
- Set-Up for Organizations will begin at 10 AM in Gantcher location
- Registration for 2 representatives only due to Covid policies and space restrictions
- 1 Table and 2 chairs (bring tablecloth from your organization for your table)
- Bagged lunch provided to each representative (options to be selected during registration)
- Resume book sent to organization following Career Fair (students will opt in to have resumes sent)
- Note: In an effort to reduce waste, we encourage employers to create QR codes where students can access informational materials about your company virtually. In lieu of hard copies of flyers, pamphlets, and other materials, consider linking to your website, promotional videos, a slide deck, etc. via a QR Code that can be displayed at your table
SPACE WILL BE LIMITED TO A MAXIUMUM OF 100 EMPLOYERS – PLEASE REGISTER EARLY
Employers must follow all Tufts University COVID Policies for visitors in order to attend this Career Fair. Tufts COVID Career Fair policies can be found here.
Virtual Career Fair
Similarly to our fairs last academic year, we will be utilizing Handshake for our Fall 2022 Virtual Career Fair. Throughout the fair, employers can host 30-minute group sessions and conduct 10-minute 1-on-1 video conversations with students.
Virtual Career Fair Format
- We are expecting 200 employers to attend our upcoming virtual career fair, so we request that you register as soon as possible to confirm your spot
- We also recommend that employers plan to have at least 2-5 representatives attend the fair in order to be able to host 30-minute group sessions concurrent with 10-minute 1:1 individual chat sessions with students.
- We encourage attending employers to host at least one group sessionas it is the most efficient way to reach several unique students. Each group session you can have a different descriptive title if you wanted to use this opportunity to engage in a variety of topics such as general info session, Ask Me Anything panels, a session around a particular role you are hiring for, etc.
- Employers should make sure to update their Handshake profiles with new jobs and internships well in advance of the fair date. In addition, please highlight any Tufts alumni representatives that will be representing your organization by listing their name, Class Year, and Major in your fair employer description.
- Employers need to build out their schedules in advance of student registration opening for students. Students will be unable to sign-up for group sessions or one-on-one sessions until you have these finalized and visible in Handshake.
- Students will need to attend a Tufts Virtual Career Fair preparation session that will be offered in order to learn more about how to navigate a virtual career fair. Students will be required to schedule all one-on-one chat sessions and group sessions in advance of the fair. We are not responsible for students that attend the virtual event and are unable to access sessions or chats on the day of the event.
- You can find more information about how to navigate Handshake’s Virtual Fair by viewing Handshake’s Playbook for Employers here. You can also watch their Virtual Fair Training video here.
Employers who are connected with Tufts University on Handshake can proactively message Tufts students to share opportunities, upcoming events, and more. Learn how to send messages to students here.
Student Messaging Tips:
- Your subject line matters. Be sure to mention your company name in the subject line – it will appear as the subject as the students’ email, their Handshake inbox, and push notifications they see on their phone
- Make them feel special. Start your message with a personal note. Phrases like “I saw you’re a Communications major,” or “We’re looking for students with leadership skills like you” help add a personal touch that will make students feel valued and compelled to reply.
- Tell them what to do. Make your call to action crystal clear so students clearly understand what you’re asking them to do. Bold it, underline it, hyperlink it! Keep the asks simple, like: Apply to this job. RSVP to this event. Stop by our Career Fair Booth.
You can find more information on student messaging here.
Additional Employer Policies
If you wish to recruit at Tufts, please review and abide by our Tufts Employer Policies.
Please direct any additional questions to Willa Mayo, Recruiting Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org